Saturday 23 February 2008

Sale or Adoption? Farewell Lumix

Before I proceed, I just want to say farewell to Lumix. Floppie's new owner showed interest in him and I felt that it would be great to release Lumix to him. You can almost sense it when someone is really genuine and sincere.

Last picture I took of Lumix in the car. His temperament is so good that I do not need to cover the box. He just sits there quietly. Will miss him dearly.

I recently found myself asking this question - in what circumstances do I give up my rabbits for sale or adoption? when do I charge and when do I give for free?

I usually put 8 weeks old kits for sale. Not because they are cute and attractive. Mind you, kits between 6 to 16 weeks old can be super duper ugly. It is the ugly phase just like a puppy between 3 and 7 months. As I was saying, I put those kits up for sale not because to make a profit out of them and for your information, I make more losses then gains having this hobby. But it is all for the betterment and joy of breeding good specimens to be shared. In the case of a sale, I always believe that if things are given for free, it is very likely that they will be taken for granted. And for the effort and all the expenses I have put into raising these delicate kits to weaning stage, I deserve something in return. Maybe it is not profit but at least a reasonable amount to make up and to affirm my hard work. A predefined token of appreciation that is.

As with adoption, the word itself has a lot of negativity tagged to it. Most of the time when you hear the word adoption, a regular person would think of REJECTION right away. In the case of my rabbits, it is a far cry from rejection. To me, all my rabbits are the best and putting any one of them up for adoption does not mean they are rejects or they are not up to expectations. And I choose to give them up for free just for the same reason. If a person can show appreciation for an animal which is not cute (like when they were younger), I believe that is true love. If a person can see beyond the age factor and adopts my rabbit, I would appreciate them that much so not to charge them. That is the reason behind why my adult rabbits are given for up for free. Basically I am in debt to the person who is going to take good care of the wonderful pet that I used to have and I guess it is fair not to ask.

The world is very fair in my eyes. In giving we receive and in receiving there is giving...

No comments: