Wednesday 17 February 2010

Deep Thoughts

How much can one possibly write about rabbits? What happens when you have possibly written most of the important topics? I guess we move on to those unimportant ones?

Two words captured my attention today as I scroll through the social networking website - Pet Blogger. I start to wonder how does one qualifies to be a Pet Blogger and I search deep within myself asking that question - Am I a Pet Blogger?

First of all, I must say that the real definition of a Pet is actually in a singular form. The purest form of keeping pets as hobby is to have one animal at any point of time. With that said, I must admit I do have an obsession over rabbits in their plural form. My problem is that, I can't just keep one.

That brings me to the question of whether a breeder that blogs can be considered a Pet Blogger?

I believe that we breeders walk on a very thin line and it always come back to the question of whether breeding comes first or pet comes first. Most of the pet people I know share the same obsession regardless of the species that they keep as pets. They just can't have one. We know the consequences and most often than not has experienced losing our pet in its singular form and the result, disastrous!

So what sort of stuff do a Pet Blogger write about? How many times does he or she have to write "Fluffy eat kibbles today" before readers get bored of the blog? What is the essence that drives people to keep on coming back to one's pet blog? I really do not have the answer but I am sure it does get a little boring at times.

To be honest, with so many cute photos posted on this blog, it is hard not to fall in love with the Holland Lops. In the past 3 years, I have had 2 incidents (that I know) where my blog caused my readers to acquire my rabbits on impulse. Everything was perfect until the rabbits actually went home and the just don't seemed all that interesting as how it is for me - LOL!

Just like any other species kept as pets, it does take some effort to make the hobby a worthwhile one. You just can't bring Polly home and expect her to ask for a cracker can you?

This is exactly how the term Pet Blogger is for me. It depends very much on how one would want to "recognize" or categorize a person as a Pet Blogger. In my opinion, anyone that writes about animal(s) that he or she keeps, is a Pet Blogger.

Now, I am finding it really difficult to write "Haley took some pellets today, Haley had some Timothy Hay today, Haley slept for 4 hours, Haley drank some water, Haley pooped & pee-ed". Gosh! Just imagine that here and I am sure in no time I will have no reader visiting this blog. But that is actually how it is in Meadow Haven. Everyone is very laid back, with me doing most of the chores of course. And I cannot possibly write "I clean rabbit poop and pee today, I clean more cages today and I clean more litter pans today" right?

So what sets this blog apart? Is it the way that I write? Is it the photos that I post?

I really don't know but it would be cool to have someone come up to me and say, "Tim, you've got a flair for writing". I remember very clearly 2 people that actually said that to me and I do keep those words close to my heart. One was way back when I about 11 years old. It was my tuition teacher that taught composition. She said that I had good imagination and I was good at expressing my thoughts through writing. And the other is still a dear friend I hold closely to my heart. She was my supervisor when I was working part-time back then. She said, "Tim, you've got a flair for writing". It didn't really mean that much to me back then but today, writing is such an important channel for me to express myself. I do get flattered to get some occasional praises for writing well but I do doubt the distance that it can bring me. In this world, it is all about appreciation. If one appreciates Holland Lops, they will put a value into the rabbits. If one appreciates art, they will put a price to it. If one appreciates car modification, they will put an exhaust pipe big enough to fit a coconut in it!

I am really glad that my blog is able to build bridges. People around the world is able to understand what I am trying to say. The irony is that, sometimes I get fellow countrymen that do not understanding a single thing that I write.

I know this entry is a little random (that is why it is categorized as Random Topics). You guessed it right, I am basically expressing myself right now. I am actually sitting here thinking when was the last time that I actually blogged. Has the direction of my blog changed for the worst?

One thing is for sure, I am not writing as much in terms of sharing my knowledge because as time goes by, it felt like spoon-feeding. I realized that people will not appreciate what they get easily. With that said, prices of my rabbits are skyrocketing for sure - LOL! No free lunch people. You want the best, you pay the price - BWAHAHAHAHA! Oh, how I love the art of deterrence.

Before I stop my crap talk, I just want to share my own definition of a Pet Blogger:

1. You write so much that you lost track of time (I was suppose to check on the bunnies like 30 mins ago!)

2. You are always looking for opportunity to show off your pet(s) on the blog

3. You (not me) brags about your pet(s)

4. What you write has more entertainment value compared to substance

5. It seemed as though there is something profound between you and your pet that you must write about

6. Money is not the obvious and underlying reason you blog, you don't have an entire herd of rabbits to sell and everything that you write is plainly and simply based on passion

Thank you for joining me on this whacky post. It's been a while...

No comments: