Tuesday 24 February 2009

Must Reads for Show Breeders: Chest & Shoulder

This is the interpretation of what I understand through my research. Experts out there please do advice through comments if what I have written below is inaccurate.

The show Holland Lop must look massive in general. How do we interpret the massiveness? While in pose, a rabbit in question should be squared with both front legs apart. If both the front legs does not seemed to be apart, it may be an indication of narrow shoulder. Short, stumpy and thick front legs is a good indication that the rabbit has thickness of bone.

Another desired trait of a show Holland Lop is the depth of chest. What does this mean? The head should sit nicely with the chin resting on the chest. The chest should nicely curve from the chin all the way down to the legs.

I know it is very difficult to imagine through words. So let me just brief you through using a photos of Miller's Carmel as an example. Hope you get what I mean.

carmel3

Carmel's head is nicely tucked/nestled on top of her chest. That indicates the depth of chest which is desirable. And notice that both her front legs are set apart and that indicated that she has got nice broad shoulder.

I shall be writing about topline and ears in the next post.

No comments: