Friday 9 October 2009

Fading Babies

Fading Babies is a term given to new born animals that do not thrive and slowly "fades" away. More often than not, there is no cure for this phenomenon and these babies often die.

It is funny how this phenomenon can be applied not only to baby animals but it can be applied to humans too. I don't mean death in the actual sense but more of giving up a hobby or should I say, the death of a hobby. It is sad but it happens a lot.

I can remember very clearly when I started off, there were many that walked with me through the forums and personally. As time passes, I hear less of them and in the end, I do not hear from them at all. I am very sad to have lost friends in this hobby even sadder for not getting an official "goodbye" from these friends.

It is very similar to fading babies. They come into this world, wiggle a lot and slowly fades away without a proper good bye or farewell note.

There were quite a few that blogs about their pets but as of late, I am missing some of them. Sad but true.

I am left to wonder all by myself what has happened to all of them. By the rate it is going, I do not think that the rabbit market would thrive. People just have to start taking this hobby seriously and they must realize above everything else that it should not be a passing fad, trend or phase.

Most of the time priorities change. A new job assignment, a new objective in life, a new member in the family, financial difficulties, family issues, personal crisis and emotional crisis are just a few examples that I could think of. But what disappoints me the most is how passionate people are initially and out of a sudden, they "shutdowns" abruptly. They can go to great length to start off something but soon become inconsistent.

I now understand why most breeder friends I have gave me 2 words when I start off working with Holland Lops. The 2 words are Patience & Persistence. Time and time again, they told me that I have chosen the hardest rabbit breed to work with. As a breeder's point of view, I could have quit a long time ago but somehow something about this breed kept me going. I cannot describe what it is but I am definitely very fortunate to have many friends to encourage me and cheer me on.

I really do hope the same for every rabbit owner. I guess most people I know do not have a certain objective for their pet rabbits and through time, they turn into merely a "chore". That's when the burn out gets the best of us.

My objective is clear and I guess that is what that keeps me going. To produce the nicest Holland Lop in my own eyes. A rabbit that fits perfectly in my definition of a perfect Holland Lop guided by the Standard Of Perfection. Another motivating factor is that "Life is a like a box of chocolates" as stated by Forrest Gump. You really do not know what you will get in a litter of Holland Lops if you indeed get babies out of them. So for me right now, it is very motivating to try get a litter of kits that could thrive and then hopefully, that perfect little bunny would pop up!

For those who do not breed but raise any rabbit whether pedigreed or not, mixed or pure, you can have a different objective from mine. Strive to bond with your rabbits, train them to respond to calls, train them in bunny agility, train them to obey instructions and engage them in many activities could be the objective of you raising a rabbit as pet.

I know there has been very dry blog posts lately without photos. In the past, I have posted photos that are very tempting and every household seemed to want a Holland Lop. But now, what we really need to do is get back to basics (again!).

It is back to the time to inspire you to keep on owning a rabbit and not quit this wonderful hobby that is so easily give up on.

Last but not least, my thoughts and prayers are with Daphie & TJ who lost little Brandy Swing today. It is hard to have a piece of your heart ripped off you when a beloved pet dies. Although Brandy is a little baby Chinchilla, I'll do this like the usual rabbit style - BINKY FREE Little Brandy Swing...

No comments: