Wednesday 14 October 2009

A Future Without Love?

First of all, please note that this blog post is not an intention to diss anyone especially the Asthmatics. I really do wish that there is no such thing as Asthma in this world and this post will tell you why. Before I forget in the midst of my ramblings, I just wanted to highlight that a friend of mine needs help in getting 7 rabbits adopted in Penang. Please feel free to get more information over at her blog http://thefluffies.wordpress.com. It must be a very tough decision for Nico and I hope good people will come forward to help provide these beautiful bunnies a good home.

I had a good chat with my GP this morning regarding the condition called Asthma. Prior to this, I understand that most Asthma attacks are forms of allergy reaction. In order to get allergy reactions, one must be exposed to the allergens, that are agents that causes allergies. The Dr. told me that there is a book containing a list of allergens and it is approximately 400 pages thick. But the top 3 allergens that atopic individuals are reactive to are:

1) Dustmites

2) Dust

3) Fur

So what do you do halfway having a pet at home and found out that you are allergic to it? The Dr. instructs to get rid of the pet. In my heart I cried, "Holy CRAP! HELL NoooOOOOOOooooOOoooo!". That is not the worst part of it. The worst part of it is that, Asthma is a highly hereditary condition. If one of the spouses has got this condition, 100% their children will inherit it. DOUBLE LOAD OF CRAP! Do we cull humans for Asthma? You wish!

So far, I am glad that I am 100% allergy to Dust & Guinea Pigs. And I hope that I do not develop allergy to Rabbits. For now, what I needed to do is that, I need to consume a tablet of antihistamine and cover my nose/mouth with damp cloth whenever I need to expose myself to dust. That is why you will always catch me looking like a terrorist while cleaning my house.

Now, coming back to the title of this post and the sad fact that Asthma is 100% hereditary, it breaks my heart to also know that more and more children are born inheriting this condition from their parents and the percentage/statistics are staggering and unbelievable. It really saddens me to know that a great number of children will never have pets in their entire life. The irony is that, everything around us could be an allergen and every person may have different reactions to certain allergen.

Studies are being done right now in such a way that high dosages of allergens are introduced to atopic individuals in hope that their bodies would build natural antibodies against them but sadly, these studies has proven futile. There is no strong evidences that the condition is reversible. In this world that has already lost all LOVE, I do not think it is fair that our future generations will never ever have the chance to keep little critters in their lives.

So off I went home to clean up that little bunny run that has been filled with wood shavings. While cleaning, I realize how I can't live without these little critters and I hope all of us will be able to enjoy what we truly love in life.

I wish all of you well and hope that your allergies are not pet related.

Here are some photos taken of the clean bunny run (sorry for the quality, I can't find my camera!).

Thunder & Carmel with lots of toys!
Thunder & Carmel with lots of toys!
Eagle's eye view
Eagle's eye view
Thunder's fur is growing back slowly. Eventhough bald, he is still very thick!
Thunder's fur is growing back slowly. Eventhough bald, he is still very thick!
Carmel with boxes & hay
Carmel with boxes & hay


No comments: