Tuesday 15 September 2009

Holly Hope Day 31: Disaster Strikes

In life we win some and we lose some. But in Holland Lops, we lose most of the time.

I would like to thank everyone for their prayers but I am extremely sad to inform that it is just not happening. I wouldn't want to dwell into details so please do not ask. All I can say is that, I woke up finding a DOA in the nest box and Holly Hope was still in labor.

Will rush her to the vets in a while.

UPDATE:

I did not bring Holly Hope to the vets because there is nothing much the vets could do. They have only have 2 choices in my opinion - cut her up and get the kits out which is highly risky or administer oxytocin and risk rupturing her uterus.

I am extremely relieved that Holly Hope expelled 2 DOA kits when I came home this evening. It is a real pity that the kits did not survive because they are beautiful well formed kits.

Binky free beautiful babies
Binky free beautiful babies

The reasons why I am extremely grateful & happy:

1) Holly Hope is alive!

2) Holly Hope is alive!

3) Holly Hope is alive!

4) Holly Hope was able to conceive after 8 months which by all standard could be a miracle to some professional breeders

5) She had 3 kits, 2 were normal size and 1 could be a peanut or runt

6) The kits may be broken blue (BLUE?!)

With that said, here were some extreme cases that could have happened:

1) Hemorrhage

I have heard of does dying from childbirth complications that caused hemorrhaging. I was glad that this did not happen to Holly Hope because if it did, I'll have blood all over the place and what a mess it would be.

2) Retained kits

There is a possibility where Holly Hope could have dead kits in her. She may die of toxic poisoning from the rotting kits in her. If the kits do not rot, they will be mummified and she will not be able to conceived anymore.

3) Stuck kits (mid way)

The first thing I check when I saw her straining in her nest box was to see if there is any kits mid way her vent. As I was in a rush this morning I was glad that I did not find anything stuck half way. If not I'll be in great trouble. It will need at least 2 people to help pull the kit out.

As I am typing this update, guess what Holly Hope is doing?

Let's Do The Bunny Dance
Let's Do The Bunny Dance
I FeeeEeel GooOOod....(few ounces lighter)
I FeeeEeel GooOOod....(few ounces lighter)


No comments: