Thursday 15 May 2008

Rabbits & Vaccinations

Someone asked me in the forum whether I would recommend vaccinations for rabbits. In my opinion, I will only vaccinate any of my pets based on the following:

1) Outbreak of disease
I do not find it necessary to vaccinate rabbits when there is no sign of outbreak. At this moment, there are 2 viruses that rabbits need to be vaccinated against - Myxomatosis & Viral Haemorrhagic Disease (VHD).

2) Availability of vaccines
Of course it would not be possible to vaccinate rabbits if the vaccines are not available. Dogs and cats are the common pets being treated and vaccines for these pets are readily available. I cannot say the same for rabbits. And the sad reality is, not many local vets know how to treat rabbits and that alone tells me that they will never spend too much on stocking up on rabbit vaccines.

My conclusion is, I will not vaccinate my rabbits until it is absolutely necessary. I rather take prevention measure like keeping my rabbits free from mites and fleas which are the agent for the above mentioned viruses/diseases.

No comments: