Sunday 4 January 2009

Must Owner Be Breeder or Breeder Be Owner?

I have done an observation for quite a while and I cannot help but to notice that breeding one's pets seemed to be the natural order of things. No, I am not encouraging everyone to breed.

But as the topic of this post suggest, I would like to post a few questions. Must every rabbit owner be a breeder? Or must every breeder be an owner? I think the latter seemed to be a stupid question right? Of course every breeder happens to be owners. If they do not own the rabbits, how could they breed them?

WRONG! You can breed rabbits even if you are not a breeder. That is because you can create a market for rabbits so that breeders based on your demand, breed their rabbits. That is indirectly breeding I believe.

But as for the first question. Must every rabbit owner be a breeder? The answer is NO. I always like sending my rabbits to people that wants a pet exclusively. To be honest, I enjoy that more than sending my rabbits to people with intention to breed. Not because I am afraid that one day they get nicer offspring out of them and beat me in my own breeding program. That is the least of my concern and in fact, I hope those breeding my rabbits do well because at the end of the day, those rabbits carry Tru-Luv in their pedigrees. Alright, I think I better make my twisted words clearer for the simple minded. I will always be happier to share my rabbits with people who wants to breed the rabbits and beat me in quality. Meaning to say, these breeders have a clear intention to get quality that exceeds mine. I fully support people with such intention. I am not afraid of "losing" business because as I have mentioned many times, this is plainly an enjoyable hobby not money making business.

That being said, please don't come to me and tell me simply you want to beat me in breeding quality rabbits. Show me how you can do that and convince me that you really can do it. Then you can have my rabbits.

Coming back to that question (I have wandered too far away). Again, I must say that I really prefer to send my rabbits to people who wants them solely as pets not because I am trying to belittle people in general in the topic of breeding. Mind you, I know people that keeps only one rabbit at a time and they make superb breeders too. They have so much knowledge in that area. It is something that they choose not to venture due to many reasons.

I am not going to dwell into why one should not breed because I have done that a million times and by enforcing it further, we may see a total backfire. So it is just a very simple post to enforce and drive home the point that, you can have a wonderful pet without breeding it. Forget about old mother goose story of how you want your pet to experience motherhood/fatherhood and things like that. Those are sheer nonsense. You can never beat an animal in their basic instinct to reproduce so let's not impose your drive on an animal. We humans are the greater kind with a brain to make judgments.

May you have a great time with your PET rabbit.

No comments: