Wednesday 10 September 2008

Not forgettin' my roots

Time and time again, I remind myself not to grow too proud of all the blessings that has been bestowed upon me. So far, I have been blessed with the best rabbits I could ever imagine myself having. I realized that sometimes I may seem to be very arrogant towards certain people that shows interest in my rabbits. In fact, I rarely trust strangers these days.

Also, since quality is the utmost important trait that I hope to achieve in my rabbits, I tend to impose my standards upon others. I realize that I am not being sensitive to the circumstances or limitations someone else is in.

Take for example, I strongly believe that every rabbit on the face of this earth deserve the best. But my best and another person's best may not be similar. A local rabbit cost a little less than $40 in the petshops. A pack of 10 lbs Oxbow cost a little less than $60. A pack of 10 lbs local pellets (with sand) cost $9. That means Oxbow is 7 times the price of local pellets. Given this figure to someone without the budget, can he or she actually have a rabbit as pet?

So the question is, do we penalize or discriminate "poor" people from having pets?

Is it better not to have a pet at all if we cannot give them our best?

Coming back to the point of being arrogant. I am being arrogant by choice because I hated how some people being rude and inconsiderate. I do not mind entertaining questions but not to the point of spoon feeding. The information is scattered all around the cyberspace. Sometimes, I just do not understand why some people have to ask every question under the sun without having the initiatives to search out the answers on their own first.

By giving and providing all the answers, I realize that most come back with the same questions because the answers were given to them easily and most of the time they do not even try to remember the answers previously given.

And coming back to the title of this post. To be honest, having rabbits for me so far wasn't a smooth sailing experience. Having to cope with deaths, faults and genetic problems has taught me a lot about how tough life could be. Along the way, I met great and very generous people who are so willing to share (of course I would love to follow their lead).

Every now and then, I walk down memory lane to recall the wonderful rabbits that has long passed and looking at the present, I cannot help but to be grateful. It does remind me too that in the past, my rabbits were once eating $9 local pellets and the differences do I notice now that I am feeding them Oxbow.

Besides the sand, one major thing has changed. My rabbits are no longer local rabbits or mixes of both local and imports. Tru-Luv Rabbitry's herd is now fully imported bloodlines. And due to that reason, I cannot afford anymore deaths especially if the deaths were caused by diet which is now so readily available. So you might ask, can we still feed the local pellets? I dare not answer that question. For me, I would say that even the local rabbits should not be fed solely on local pellets. And that in itself makes up a small part of knowledge gained about rabbit diet. Rabbits should not be fed pellets alone.

I can go on and on writing about what I have learned throughout this entire Holland Lop experience thus far, but I choose to leave my sharing up to this point. Why? What fun would it be if I share every single thing I know? That is part of the human experience. We need to go through every single thing to learn if not, might as well, we have cyborgs walking the streets. We are not pre-programmed beings. We have a life and most importantly a brain to think uniquely. We have to exercise that brain of ours to be creative and to make a good decision on our own.

I would just like to end on this note. Tru-Luv Rabbitry has not forgotten its root or have grown proud. Every single step I take, is for the betterment of both rabbits and human alike.

This is True Love indeed.

1 comment: