Friday 24 October 2008

Run & Pop Successfully

So far I have read about the difficulties of breeding Holland Lops and the trend seemed to extend to other breeds as well. Most of what I read are coming from breeders with barns and their rabbits are kept in cages for long period of time.

I am wondering if the kindling problems are somehow related to the reason that most of these breeding does are kept in cages for long periods.

The reason behind my thoughts is that I used to have a Golden Retriever and my dad brings her out for walks everyday when she was pregnant. She had 6 beautiful pups in just 30 minutes. We have never seen such easy delivery. We attributed this to the daily walks.

As for humans, I have been told that most pregnant women that has reasonable exercise like brisk walking, tend to have very easy delivery. Could this be true?

I actually attributed the latest successful kindling of both BlueBerry & Noobie to the 4 feet cages that I provide them and also the regular runs that they get around the house.

But I cannot deny the fact that most Dwarf Breeds tend to have larger heads and the occasional stuck kit incidents are expected. It is quite similar for dogs with bigger heads and shorter muzzle like the Boxer & Bulldog.

But my point is, would it help if pregnant does are given ample of runs?

Does feral rabbits have very high success rates because they get all the exercises they need?

Maybe the stamina that they build from having regular runs will help them with the pushing? Maybe the muscles that they build will help them through the contractions?

I believe these are all reasonable possibilities. I shall experiment this with Holly Hope come November.

Just a thought worth pondering.

On the side note, thanks to Lindsey for highlighting the link to ARBA convention, http://www.arbaconventions.com/. This ARBA convention is such a huge production. You should take a look at all the preparations undertaken. MASSIVE Production this one. I hope one day we have such huge rabbit shows in Malaysia. It would be fun but of course you will never run away from loads of bickering and back bitings because people in general just DO NOT LIKE LOSING. If only we learn to have fun and practice good learning attitude, then I believe it will be such a worthwhile hobby. At the moment, no point just having an ARBA Production here with just 2 breeds to compete and less than 50 entries. LOL!!!

I would LOVE to attend ARBA convention one day and look for people like Susie, Laurie (if she still attends) & Christina!

Malaysian government is known to send their staff to pig farms overseas on a learning trip. I wish they could send me there for a rabbit breeds learning trip although I am not a government officer. Pretty please....

No comments: