Thursday 16 October 2008

Will You Eat Your Rabbits?

Let's bring ourselves back through time down memory lane. In the old days, rabbits/hares are bred mostly for their pelt/fur and also as food. Even in survival guidebooks, detailed rabbit/hare snaring instructions are given. That is for the sake of survival in the wild.

Fast forward to the 21st century, rabbits are mostly kept as pets. As a child I remember myself having barbecue rabbit for dinner in a restaurant. I was told rabbit meat is high in protein and indeed, if I remember correctly, I love the taste. LOL.

But to imagine me gobbling up Holly Hope is simply outrageous!!!

As I have mentioned previously, I have enrolled myself in many discussion groups and I received a daily digest today that has got member sharing their experience on how to cull pet rabbits from their herd.

Some sell them to the local markets, some sell them to wildlife parks needed meat to feed those rehabilitating wildlife animals, some feed the rabbits to their dogs (for those hardcore fans of BARF) and the last one just set me on vomit mode. Some actually put pet quality rabbits from their herd on the dining table!

I will only cook my rabbits in situation like a nationwide curfew or if this world is running out of food and the only thing I have with me at that moment happens to be a rabbit. Even that, my imagination tells me that I will be sobbing my eyeballs off peeling those fur and chopping up that poor rabbit. ArgghhhHHhhHhh.....

The worst part is to think about the prior relation of pet & owner. A relation has been strike because I have given name to my pet. Can you imagine me saying "Holly Hope, I am chopping you up for dinner tonite". OMG!!!!!!

We have rabbit satay here in Malaysia and if anyone plans to feed me some, please don't ever tell me that they are made of rabbit meat. That is how I would like it to be. No damage done not knowing!

So if you ask me for an honest opinion as to whether I will cull my pet quality rabbits, and if this entire world run out of good pet homes for my rabbits, my answer would be YES and these are the choices by rank how I want to cull:

1) Donation to wildlife/rehabilitation parks (humanely put down)
2) People with dogs going on BARF diet (humanely put down)
3) Poor countries in need of food (humanely put down!)

There you have it, my take on whether I will eat my own rabbits!

No comments: