Friday 11 July 2008

Passing On The Gene Pool

As usual, there were quite a number of inquiries since the birth of BlueBerry’s kits and as usual I am again in a very difficult position. Why is it so difficult?

Being one of the pioneers of bringing in Holland Lops breed into Malaysia, I must be very selective in passing on the gene pool to responsible owners. And through my observations, the market is filled with many opportunists that never fails to take advantage of the situation to exploit any “commodities” in their hands.

It is very apparent that wherever the MONEY is, there will always be people rushing to those “gold mines”. The measure that I would like to take is to make sure that the opportunists do not exploit rabbits in Malaysia. Looking into the mixed breed market alone, I can see that it has been exploited beyond recognition.

I am truly sadden by this situation. But in order for me to hold on my stance, many has labelled me as stuck up because they cannot accept my approach in this matter. And that itself also goes to show that they will not be the right people to pass on my rabbits’ gene pool.

Some of the measures that I have taken include being super fussy and choosy on the inquiries. I normally go through a little background check or interview to test out of the basic care knowledge of potential new owners. I always emphasize and encourage the new owners to consider neuter/spay if they are not planning to breed their rabbits. I try to ensure that they never ever ever cross breed rabbit(s) they get from me with any other breeds. Be it intentionally or by accident (this would require the taming of desire of letting their rabbits mate on the human counterpart). It sadden me really that some human beings have greater desire to see their rabbits breed than the raging hormones of the rabbits themselves.

I do not think this is a selfish step and making it seemed as if I am the only one that has the privilege to breed. I have my beliefs on how responsible breeding should be and I impose them on potential owners of rabbits (given the fact that their hormones are greater than of their rabbits). Since I have no control over the actions of the new owner, all I can do is to continue educating them instead of just saying NO, YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS OR THAT.

I am not disallowing people to breed if they do it with ONE GOOD REASON - BREED TO IMPROVE THE BREED.

No comments: