Sunday 6 July 2008

The peanut died & other topics

Any seasoned breeder will tell you that this is expected when you breed dwarf rabbits. The peanut died late evening. I have seen quite a few peanuts by now because each and every litter that I have so far has 1 of them. But I must say this little peanut is really well formed just that its size is half of its siblings. There were no deformity at all.

I was contemplating to make this post because I wanted to skip writing today just to dedicate the day to PEACE. A lot has been happening in our world today and I just wanted to feel the peace and dedicate a day not posting. But I just cannot seemed to get my blog out of my head.
The 1st day inspection on the nest box showed that BlueBerry has pulled more fur and lines the box well. The kits seem a little plump so I assume she has fed them. Will have to check on them again.
I also need to write something that I notice about skittish rabbits and my beliefs. Holly Hope is a sweetheart because I handled her since birth making sure she gets fed well. And I really notice a difference in her behavior. She will always greet me whenever I am near her cage. I believe when you spend a lot of time with your rabbits, they will not fear you. I read about some rabbits that inflict great injuries on their owner and I truly believe it is because they are not handled often.
I do not see anything wrong with rabbits that are skittish provided that their owners are not complaining. But for me personally, I prefer to have tame and steady rabbits as pets and because that is a built-in behavior, it may also be passed down to their offspring later. I guess it is more of a personal preference. Some people like to just leave their rabbits unattended except for daily feeding and others prefer to have more interaction with their pets.
For me, I look for a complete package with good psychological and physical balance.
I will take more photos and post them soon. Hope to get the internet connection up and running next week!
It is SPRING @ TLR!!!

No comments: